Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thai Red Curry with Shrimp and Kabocha Squash


Squash is such a perfect Fall food.  I LOVE butternut and acorn squash, and figured if I like those, I should branch out and explore other squash varieties.  I've been seeing some recipes with kabocha squash floating around various blogs for awhile, but decided to turn to a great cookbook for my first experience with it.  

Kabocha pairs amazingly well with Thai red curry, and the shrimp complements the two really nicely.  In all honesty, I thought the peas were kind of a weird inclusion in the recipe.  If you like them, use them, but I think I'm going to leave them out next time.

(adapted from Asian Vegetables by Sara Deseran)

1 small kabocha squash (about 2 pounds)
1 14 oz can light coconut milk
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste 
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 cup chicken broth
2 lemongrass stalks, bottom 8" only, cut into 2" lengths
8 oz flat rice noodles 
1/2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup frozen peas (or not...)
4 roma tomatoes, quartered lengthwise

Cut the squash in quarters using a sturdy knife or cleaver.  Scoop out the seeds and cut off the peel.  Cut into 1" cubes

Heat the coconut milk and curry paste in a large saucepan over medium-high, stirring well for about 3 minutes.

Turn the heat to low.  Add the sugar, fish sauce, chicken broth, lemongrass, and squash. Stir well, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.

While that is cooking, prepare the noodles according to package directions.

When the squash is tender, stir in the noodles, shrimp, peas, and tomatoes and cook for a few minutes, until heated through.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Once again, this looks so good. I continue to be impressed with your knack for Asian cooking.

Cara said...

I love love love all kinds of winter squash, and also find that they taste to wonderful in curry dishes! Kabocha is awesome, so rich and nutty.

Anonymous said...

That sounds so delicious! I just became a spaghetti squash lover, so I'll have to branch out and try different ones too.

Thanks for the idea!

Court Cooks said...

This looks like a great curry recipe. I will try a look for some Kabocha squash.

That Girl said...

I'm a fan of all colors of curry.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy, and I have plenty of Roma tomatoes ripe in the garden.

Vera said...

I love how colorful the dish is! It makes me so hungry!