Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


We had some friends over to carve pumpkins, and of course I just had to make some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for the occasion.  The problem was, I didn't have a recipe.  I checked out Annie's blog, because she always has such fantastic recipes. I found this one, took out the raisins and nuts and replaced them with chocolate chips, opted not to do the glaze (because I didn't have the time and it just seemed like overkill with chocolate), and changed up some of the spices. 

The verdict:
"So soft and fluffy!" says Meghan. "This cookie makes me wish pumpkin could be used year-round." (I think it should be!)
"Mmmmmmmm" says Brigitte.
Simon says "this is delicious."
Ian declares "I love these cookies!"
"They're damn good!" says Dana. "They taste like pumpkin!"
And my husband is speechless.

So there you go... pumpkin carvers agree - you gotta have these cookies!
And for the record I will make the original recipe from Annie's blog soon because it looks amazing!
(adapted from Annie's Eats, originally from Williams Sonoma)

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup), softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg with a fork. Set aside.
In a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed for about 1 minute.
Add the sugars and mix on medium until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add the egg, vanilla, and pumpkin and mix until incorporated.
Stir in the flour mixture, and mix on low until the flour disappears.
Add the chocolate chips, mixing on low until they are evenly distributed.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a Silpat lined baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set.
Cool on a wire rack.

No comments: