Thursday, October 2, 2008

Indian-Spiced Roasted Potatoes

I bought some mustard oil a few months ago when I started doing lots of Indian cooking, but somehow I never got around to using it.  My husband found this recipe and we both LOVED it.
This is a great side dish to serve with Indian food, when you want a change from rice.  I made them really spicy with lots of cayenne but you could definitely leave it out entirely if you wish.

(adapted from Vegetarian Resource Center)

1 lb small red potatoes, quartered
2 tbsp mustard oil (or vegetable oil)
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoons ground asafoetida
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons amchur (ground dried mango)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Lime wedges and fresh mint to garnish

Preheat oven to 400 F
Heat mustard oil in a skillet over high heat then add cumin seeds and ground asafoetida (there will be splatters!)
Add potatoes and cook stirring for about 2 minutes, or until they change color and begin to look opaque but not translucent.
Lower heat and add the rest of the spices stirring well until blended together.
Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are brown and tender.
Great served with cucumber-mint raita!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for potatoes and these look amazingly flavorful! YUM!

Jenn and Neena Mae said...

If it's Indian I'm gonna love it. This would be really good with palak paneer or dhal. Mmmmmmm!

Jenn and Neena Mae said...

One more comment...

What got you into Indian cooking? I adore Indian food (particularly South Indian). I could subsist solely off of idli and dhal.

And, your Baingan Bartha looks really, really good!

Cate said...

jennrs - I loved going to Indian restaurants and from there decided I wanted to try and make my own Indian food. My aunt recommended the cookbook "Bombay Cafe," which I adore (I've made almost all the recipes!) and a few trips to Indian grocery stores helped me build up my pantry so I can make most things with ingredients I now have.

Jaime said...

what on earth is asafoetida?? :) the ingredient list makes those potatoes sound so exotic and delicious though! :)

That Girl said...

I am so making roasted potatoes this weekend!