Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Banana Nut Muffins


Three bananas sat on the kitchen counter for far too long.  Actually I bought an extra large bunch on purpose so I would be "forced" to make banana bread.  But as I started to peel them, I realized I didn't want to make banana bread again (I mean there's nothing wrong with it, but sometimes you have to mix things up), I wanted to make muffins.  Banana-walnut muffins, to be precise.
Thanks to Joy of Cooking (where would I be without this tome?), I had these muffins in and out of the oven in about 30 minutes.  I dusted them with powdered sugar because they were looking a little plain, and they are quite tasty.  The addition of whole wheat flour makes them a little heartier than your average muffin.  I can't wait to warm one up for breakfast in the morning!

(from Joy of Cooking)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 large egg
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/3 cup mashed bananas (2 or 3)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (or applesauce, if you prefer)
1 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 and line a 12-muffin pan with paper liners.
Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, bananas, oil, and vanilla.
Gently stir in the dry ingredients and walnuts, mixing just until combined.
Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack, and dust with powdered sugar.

5 comments:

That Girl said...

I keep finding different uses for the bananas in my freezer...and then I can't decide how to use them, so they just sit and wait.

Vera said...

These are yummy! And they remind me about my overriped bananas that have to be used :)

Steph said...

I love banana bread or muffins, but I've never made them with oil before. I'm actually thinking of peanut butter next time.

Maria said...

I need to get me some bananas so I can make these. They look great!

Colleen said...

I do that with bananas too so I force myself to make something!
These sound delicious!